Tuesday, March 20, 2007

DC Gun Ban Overthrown, as seen by The Brady Bunch

Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence


In light of the recent (last week, as of this writing) Federal Court overthrow of the total gun ban in Washington DC, I had originally intended this article to present court decisions from this ("Parker" thank you "Arms & The Law") case and commonly referenced ("Miller" notes from guncite and FindLaw, including this reference to the findings and references citing this case; "Emerson", including this from UCLA Law School) decisions commonly cited in similar cases.

[Note the Washington, DC, is a city which has repeatedly either had the highest homicide/assault/violent crime statistics in the country, or has been a close contender. This is in spite of the fact that it also has had one of the most restrictive regulations concerning private ownership of firearms, which most Gun Grabbers proposed as the most effective way to reduce "gun crime".]

But somewhere along the line of research, I followed the trail of citations to the Brady Campaign to End Gun Violence op-ed article regarding this "Parker" decision.

The comments submitted by readers of this article are almost universally condemnatory of the Brady Bunch official response. I only read the first 100+ notes, and it was completely pro-gun until the emotional "Kelli" popped up with a series of ad hominem statements which attacked the pro-gun folks personally instead of responding to their talking points.

I laughed, I cried, a shouted with joy because the Brady Bunch had presented their case against what they referred to as "Judicial Activism" -- and left their blog article open to comments from the public. The public responded appropriately, and in the process revealed the gun-control position (in the person of the sad "Kelli") as having no ability to present a believable case for their position.

I'll go read the entire list of comments (there are 475 of them to date, and you dare challenge me for "Geek-Length" writing?) as soon as I let you know that you really should go there and read that.

I'm only surprised that The Brady Bunch has left the comments about their thinly disguised hate-piece on the Internet.

But if they do take it down ... I have copied the page. No, I don't expect to ever post it; I'm pretty sure that there are some copyright issues if I publish THEIR blog article and the resulting comments under the auspices of MY internet connection.

I'm just keeping it for me. If The Brady Bunch lose heart and delete the whole thing, I still have my copy, so I can go back and reread the whole thing.

And I'll chuckle.

No comments: