Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Announcements

The Carnival of Cordite #9 is UP!

The Carnival of Cordite is a weekly feature hosted by Gullyborg at RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! It provides links to the most informative, interesting and/or thought-provoking RKBA-related blogs of the week.

This week, three of the Cogito Ergo Geek posts are featured; two on the Barrett .50-cal BMG and one on the DemocRats (even though that one isn't really on a RKBA theme.)

It's an all-time record for The Geekster. I'm so proud!

But it isn't really all Just About Me. There are a HUGE number of links in each Carnival entry. You should check it out for yourself. If you're into both RKBA and websurfing, it's a fine place to start. And the links, of course change every week.


New Blogroll Entry - .45-Caliber Justice:

I've added a new link to a RKBA (and other topics) blog. Tyler has had almost four months to establish an identity, and it's both interesting and refreshing. For one thing, he doesn't write Geek-Length Posts! I'm still working my way through his archives, and I find that some of the links he provides are websites that I would normally only see after I've tracked down a half-dozen references from other sources. For one example, check out his Ugly Cars links from yesterday (April 18, 2005).

He has obviously been reading the Carnival of Cordite, as he also links to my .50-Cal BMG posts.

Unfortunately, the new link isn't easy to see - my blogroll has been relogated to the back yard. See my comments about the Blogspot Problem. However, in recognition of this unfortunate difficulty, I've included links to both Gullyborg and Tyler in this entry.

No, don't thank me. This is just one of the many services we provide here at Geek Central.


Geek to Blogspot:

Houston, we have A Problem!
My entire sidebar has been moved to the foot of the blog.

This happened over the weekend, when vendor maintenance typically occurs. I hadn't changed my template during this period, and I've tried everything I can think of to insure that there is nothing in my code to cause this. No joy there, so I wrote to technical support. There isn't a phone number to call, so I rely on email. They haven't replied other than to cheerily inform me that they have received my report and will reply as soon as they have something to say. That was two days ago.l

I haven't yet tried to poll other bloggers using the same template (I have to find them first) , but blogspot users with different templates seem to be formatting okay.

In the meantime, I'll just have to curb my impatience and continue searching for a fix. I may have to change to a different template, which will change the look of this blog. I don't want to do that, because I LIKE the way it looks.

But I'm running out of options.

I feel like the test pilot whose plane goes into a flat spin:

Okay, I'm in a spin. Trying this. Nope, this didn't work. Okay, I'm trying that. Nope, that didn't work either. All right, I'll try the other thing. Uh, no, the other thing didn't work either. Okay, no problem, I'll try ...

SPLAT!


I hope it doesn't come to that. It's not something I can live with, because I want the links on the sidebar to be prominently displayed.

The funny thing is, if you click on the permalink of any single blog entry, the sidebar appears as it should.

The sidebar is represented at the end of the entry as the time it was published. For example:

posted by Jerry The Geek @ 9:43 PM


This means that if you want to see the sidebar before Blogspot gets around to fixing the problem, just click on any of the permalinks and catch it on the resulting window.

No comments: