Saturday, May 19, 2018

How Many Locks Are "Enough"?

Oregon's Initiative Petition 44  demands that all firearms must be kept locked, or locked up.   If your firearms are stolen, you are liable for all injuries (etc).

All of my firearms are locked up.  The locks are on the doors and windows of my home.   I never go farther than the corner mailbox without locking up.   Any more stringent lock-up measures would inhibit my ability to defend myself in my home

Yes, some firearms are locked in safes; others remain available (although not in "plain sight").   Ammunition is typically stored out of plain sight, but not locked up.

Now, the new Oregon Firearms Initiative suggests that if someone breaks into my home and steals my firearm(s), I'm criminally liable for any harm that criminal causes using my stolen firearm.

Where's the justice when the victim becomes the criminal, and the criminal's subsequent crimes are shared by the victim?

SECTION 2. (1) A person who transfers a firearm must transfer the firearm with a trigger or cable lock engaged or in a locked container equipped with a tamper-resistant lock.

Continuing the Bizarre ... a firearms "transferer" can't "transfer" firearm gun without a trigger lock?
How goofy is that?  When you sell a gun, you're not responsible for the actions of the buyer (except that you can't sell a gun to a felon, madman, etc.)   If HE needs a trigger lock, let him buy his own damn trigger lock!

I live alone; I don't need no stinking Trigger Lock!
COULD a minor gain access to a firearm I sell?  (There are no minors in my home; but that doesn't seem to matter.)  Who knows the age of the burglar who breaks into his home during his absence?  There are many flaws in this bill;  there is no allowance for "Reasonable Precautions", because it's purpose is not to provide safety but to intimidate legal firearms owners.

Requiring me to hobble my guns because a minor MIGHT invade my home?   That's madness!


There ought to be a law saying that an intruder is singularly responsible for his own actions.

There use to be; where did it go?

LINKS:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20180517/oregon-nra-files-comments-against-initiative-to-restrict-your-right-to-self-defense
As previously reported, Initiative Petition 44 would require all firearms to be locked with a trigger-locking device or kept in a locked container, unless carried by the possessor of a firearm, or face a Class C violation per firearm.  It would be a Class A violation to store a firearm in a non-compliant manner if the firearm possessor knew or should have known that a minor could gain access, with each firearm constituting a separate violation.  Anyone who has their firearms lost or stolen would be strictly liable for any injury to persons or property committed using the firearm within five years if the firearms were not stored in compliance.  Firearm owners would also be held liable for any injury occurring within five years that results from a firearm transfer to another individual if the firearm was not transferred in a locked container or with a locking device.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If your car is stolen are you also liable for any wrecks the thief has with it?

Mark said...

slide down that slope.