Friday, April 26, 2013

DIY

"Do It Yourself" (DIY) is probably good advice for "normal" people.  On the other hand, I don't know that many normal people.  Among those fine folks, I do not consider myself a member of that unique and much to be envied confederation.

I don't "DO"  DIY.  I once fell in love with a woman who admired me for my sensitivity.  She explained that for her entire adult life, every time she mentioned that there was a "problem", the men in her life rushed to fix it for her.  She said that I was the first man she ever met who didn't automatically assume that a casual mention of a problem was a challenge to my masculine expertise in fixing her problems for her.

In a rare moment of sanity, I didn't bother to explain that the reason I didn't feel congenitally obligated to "fix things" was because I was incompetent.

Much later in our relationship, I related this story to her:

Once I had a problem with my toilet.  The rod from the flush-handle to the float bowl had corroded to the point where it broke.  It was a two-dollar part, so I bought the replacement part and attempted to remove the flush-handle from the toilet tank.

I turned the nut the wrong way, and thinking it was just stuck I applied a little extra Masculine Muscle to it.

The ceramic tank cracked.  I couldn't replace the tank, because the toilet in the rental house was too old, and no parts were available.  I ended up spending $250 for a new toilet, plus another $*** to hire a plumber to replace it.

(The woman who I was then sharing the house with chided me, saying "why didn't you tell me?  I could have fixed it for you.")

I have never attempted to 'repair' anything more expensive than a kitchen timer since then.  Come to think of it, that repair consisted of tearing apart the old kitchen timer, then throwing away the parts and buying a new kitchen timer.

So for those well-meaning readers who suggest (or think) that I should have applied the DIY solution to my broken car:  thanks, but no thanks.  Experience has proven to my satisfaction that it is ultimately MUCH cheaper for me to hire competent labor, than to break a mechanical object far beyond the original damage and ultimately hire the same person to not only fix the original 'broken-ness'  AND also to repair the damage which I incurred in a misguided attempt to "save money".

I spent 30 years fixing computer software;  but when it comes to mechanical stuff ... I've learned my lesson.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They print DIY books you know. Buy one and just follow the instructions. You would be amazed. Ask a knowledgeable person of watch over you and help/guide the first time you attempt a DIY. You can practically become a gunsmith just from watching U-Tube. You should be able to maintain and do simple parts replacements on you 1911 style pistol. This, just by help from your fellow shooters and a 1911 shop manual. There is a DIYer and mechanic lurking deep within you. You just need to let the beast out. All American men and many women are DIYers that can fix most anything. It's in our DNA.
Antipoda