Monday, September 19, 2005

Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip

While I was reviewing (and responding to) comments tonite, I mentioned Jeff Cooper's "Gargantuan Gunsite Gossip". I had bought this book about fifteen years ago, new, and read it with great interest. Then I loaned it to my father.

A few years ago, I took it to loan to a friend and while my car was parket in a public lot it was burgled. The book was stolen, along with a pack of cigarettes, the cord to an electrically heated coffee cup, some parking meter change, and a pair of sunglasses. Curiously, a 50-cal ammo can with about 1000 rounds of .38 super ammunition wasn't touched.

Given the odd selection of stolen items, I'm guessing that it was kids who made a target-of-opportunity raid on my car. If you're one of those kids, please GIVE THE BOOK BACK! No questions asked, you can keep the parking meter change.

On the other hand, if you're someone who has a copy of the book and have no immediate use for it, I would appreciate the loan of it. I'm contemplating an extended series on The History of IPSC, and the book contains (as I remember) some useful references which I would like to cite.

Amazon offers a copy for $95; Barnes and Noble has it at $200. Other internet book dealers have it listed at even higher (by about ten bucks) prices. As much as I would like to own this book, it's beyond my means at these prices. I've been looking for it in used book stores in Oregon for several years, and haven't seen a copy yet at any price.

Just so you know, I'll boil that last paragraph down to simple terms: it's a valuable book, but the market is small. I probably can't afford to BUY it from you, if it's priced competitively. So I'm reduced to begging for the loan of a copy.

There. I've been as honest as I can be. I lust for the book, but my immediate need is to use it as a reference source. The writings of Col. Jeff Cooper are among my favorite readings, and I have copies of his later volumes. This special volume has information which I would like to use on this website.

If you own a copy, please contact me at the email address encoded at the bottom of the page. I will be happy to reimburse you for shipping charges, and will return the book when my research is completed.

No comments: