Tuesday, November 07, 2017

Bump-Stocks ... are they "The High Ground" or a distraction?

Like a lot of people who write about Second Amendment issues, I waffled on the question of "Bump Stocks".  In retrospect, I think I should have listened my my instincts

But in truth, I'm not the only one who had an immediate 'truth' response.

Example:
Exclusive: What Happens In Vegas…Guns Magazine.com | Guns Magazine.com:
But bump stocks aren’t a hill worth dying on, shot back those who never seem to identify a hill that is. Incrementalism to the end goal is the strategy, remember? Nancy Pelosi’s “slippery slope”?
It may be time to speak out more strongly on 2nd Amendment issues ... and perhaps I've been too weak to support the claim that I'm a viable Constitutional supporter.


WHO NEEDS IT?

Remember these old bromides?

"Who needs a magazine that carries more than 10 rounds?"
... 8 rounds ...
... 7 rounds ...
... 6 rounds ...

"Who needs a semi-automatic pistol?"
"Who needs a sniper rifle?"
"Who needs to carry a concealed pistol in a civilized society?"

It doesn't matter what kind of equipment you think you need or want, there's always someone willing (eager!) to attempt to infringe upon your Second Amendment Rights to decide what your "needs" are.  And when you give an inch ... they want to take your whole front yard and the watch dog you keep on a chain, too!

So I'm inclined to shrug and say "whatever floats your boat, Brother."

Personally, I don't "need" a bump-stock rifle.  But I see no reason why I should tell you that it's beyond your "needs".

The Second Amendment is not a toy; it's as legitimate as the First Amendment:

I don't agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Unfortunately, the quote isn't real — or at least, it's not really Voltaire. It comes from a 1906 biography by Evelyn Beatrice Hall, in which it was intended to represent a summary of his thinking on free speech issues.Jan 8, 2015
Your civil rights are not dependent upon a vote from the hoi polloi; they are part of a free people .. and America is perhaps the last best chance of Civilization if only because of our determination to defend the rights which we hold most dear.  Speech, Religion, and Firearms Ownership are equal in the eyes of God (according to the Founding Fathers who authored the Constitution to 'enumerate' our rights ... not to 'establish' them).   Those rights were a part of civilization before our country was founded.

America is merely the first nation to enshrine them, and make the part of our national creed.  We may not like our elected representatives, but at least we don't have to bow to others who might think they deserve our subservience.
*(Okay, not all of us are reluctant to bow)*  Even governors rate a bow from a President, if you're a Dwebe.

Personally?  If you're not holding a gun to my head, I'm not comfortable with bowing to you.

But I'm not a President.

Or a Democrat.

I'm just a cranky old guy who has too much time to think and not enough time to talk ... so I only have this single point of view to work with.

The problem, I think, is that I don't have anyone to argue with.

Well, at least I never lose an argument.   Which is probably as rewarding as arm-wrestling with myself; difficult to do because the Right Arm always wins.

Live should be more of a challenge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All gun laws since 1934 are unconstitutional, but nobody has ever challenged them.