Wednesday, June 01, 2016

The Forgotten War: Korea

I was 8 years old in 1953 when "The Korean Conflict" (or "Police Action", etc.) ended  after 3 years of fighting, and I recall wondering why we were at war all the time.   My parents were still talking about WWII ( aka: "The War to End Wars to End Wars").  

I didn't understand then, and I don't understand now, what it was all about.  All I know about that war is from watching M*A*S*H, and some reading of military History.  No, I never understood the whole General Macarthur thing, either.   Apparently, neither does wikipedia, although they put a lot of words to describe just how much they don't understand it.

But since we're just winding down from Memorial Day, the Korean War (at which 35, 000 Americans died) seems a reasonable subject for discussion.

Fortunately, Dennis Prager has some information about what has been called "The Forgotten War".

PRAGER U: Why Did We Fight The Korean War? | The Hayride:

Here’s a must-watch video from Prager University, particularly given that we’re a day removed from Memorial Day and there are still a good many Korean War vets still living. Korea is something of a stepchild of a war according to popular history in this country; it cost the lives of 35,000 American servicemen, so you would think it would be worth paying attention to, but there are few movies made about it and little is made of it in the media outside of an occasional reference when the North Koreans act up.




and here's television:




Frankly, I prefer the television version.

(NORM!!!!)

No comments: