Thursday, April 14, 2016

OH SHI*!

pistol-training.com: How I Got Shot:
Apparently, one of the passengers had taken the Kimber pistol from the range bag while sitting behind the victim. Outside the victim’s field of view, the passenger had inserted a loaded magazine, and cycled the action with his index finger resting on the trigger, discharging the weapon.
I guess there's a new Tip To Trainers:
"Never Let A Student Sit Behind You In The Car Without Someone To Monitor His Actions."

To the victim in the article:  Wow!  You didn't deserve that.

To myself: don't let your students get the drop on you!

I've introduced literally hundreds of people to USPSA Competition, and it has always been under very controlled circumstances.  The sessions are run according to USPSA principles, where nobody touches a gun unless I (under the authority of the Range Officer) am watching them and I've TOLD them to "Make Ready".

The problem with an unstructured shooting session is that it's almost impossible to impose "Rules of Safe Shooting" in a casual day at the range (which I assume this was).   most of my students have only been shooting on the range in an informal context; this is a dangerous environment, and does not teach safe gun-handling practices.


No comments: