Sunday, January 24, 2016

Washington State Lawmakers condemn homeowners to non-defensible condition

Washington State Lawmakers Push Gun Storage Law, 'Assault Weapons' Ban - Breitbart:
On January 22 Washington state lawmakers held a hearing on a proposal to requirement gun owners in the state to lock up their guns in the home.
 This comes just under two weeks after state representative Jim Moeller (D-49th) introduced legislation to ban the possession of the “assault weapons” in the state. According to The News Tribune, Rep. Ruth Kagi (D-Lake Forest Park) spoke for requiring law-abiding citizens to lock up their guns in their homes. Kagi said, “Requiring gun owners to safely store firearms is common sense.” She added, “About 1 million households in Washington state contain unsafe firearms, and the children in those homes are at risk.
Details not yet clear, but this sounds like a blanket indictment of the individual ability to keep protective firearms immediately at hand.

The Liberal mantra "It's For The CHILLLLLLLDRENNNNN" rings loud and clear here.   The thought that firearms might also be used to protect children is ignored ... as is the thought that these firearms need to be readily available.



I'd like to read the details of that proposal.   Does it apply to homes without children?  What about firearms kept on the person?

Keeping firearms out of the reach of children too young to understand is a good practice.
Teaching children old enough to understand is a good practice, too.

And what is the definition of 'children'?   Should I lock up my guns when my 35 year old Navy "Master At Arms" comes to visit?  (No, I don't live in Washington ... but he does, and he knows best how to secure his arms for the safety of his family.  I trust his judgement a lot more than I do some idiots in Tacoma.)

My ignorance of this "proposal" is obvious.  But I think I have some good questions that the Breitbart article didn't answer.

Generally speaking, I trust the judgement of the people I know much more than anonymous politicians who are just looking for another law to pass so they look like they're re-electable.

Honestly, I just wish that politicians could find a better way to justify their existence than to pass laws which infringe on personal home issues.

I won't even comment on the so-called "Assault Weapons" ban which these idiots are also contemplating.

Why can't they just get A Real Job?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is modern common sense gun safety, needed to protect the children and home invaders. Remember, criminals have rights too.

Jerry The Geek said...

Where would we be without the wisdom of an Antipoda?

Rivrdog said...

Didn't SCOTUS address this already? In Heller or MacDonald, I don't remember.

Archer said...

@Rivrdog: That was Heller (the first one). It challenged both the ultra-restrictive "handgun permit" scheme in Washington, D.C., and the storage requirement that required the gun to be stored unloaded AND disabled - either disassembled or trigger-locked.

@Jerry/Everyone: Generally speaking, I trust the judgement of the people I know much more than anonymous politicians who are just looking for another law to pass so they look like they're "doing something".

Just my $0.02.