Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Your friend is down and bleeding, freaking out, and fading fast. What DO you do?

I watched a man die .. in Viet Nam; late '69, early '70 .. who can rememmber after all those flaccid years?

And it pissed me off.

"Doc" * galloped through a now-known mine field to save Chief (Point Man) and Moshe (Pace man, right behind Chief) and while Chief's injuries were relatively minor, Moshe's injuries were a pointed blow to the heart.  Moshe had caught grenade shrapnel in the heart, and it was probably only a matter of seconds before he died.  But while Doc tried to insert an airway ("Esophageal?  "Tracheal"?  I forget the nomenclature) Moshe was too freaked out to do anything but grit his teeth .. which rendered all of Doc's efforts ... what's the word for "useless"?

Oh, yeah.  Useless;

* note: all names are pseudonyms.

No matter how brave and determined Doc was, Moshe was so freaked out with the immediate realization that he was going to die, nobody could save him.  not even the bravest man I ever knew; our platoon medic.  Doc.  Who cried when he lost Moshe.  And we all toted Moshe's blood-soaked gear home, with wet faces, as I'm sure I've mentioned here before.

I've remembered that day in shattered dreams and nightmares for going on 50 years, and I still think there must have been SOMETHING I could have done to make it turn out some other way.

But there was nothing I could have done.  I know that know, but it doesn't help.

Now I'm getting back into shooting competition, I worry about what I could do if someone in a purely CIVILIAN venue ... (USPSA Competition) shoud have an injury which is commensurate withe Moshes's wounds.  I don't expect it, but I feel I shoudl plan for it.

But what can I do?  I'm not WELL trained in battle-field wounds.

The best I can possible do is to provide the best equpment and supplies available today ... maybe if Doc had some tool better than that Tracheal Airway (SP?) he might have saved a life 45 years ago.

Tam has an article which parenthetically offers some suggestions"

Shooter Self-Care: Providing Lifesaving Care | Shooting Illustrated:
(H/T)  May 11, 2015:
 The past 15 years have seen a marked shift in the focus of emergency medical care. Tourniquets are no longer bad things, the ABCs aren’t always followed in that order, the efficacy of advanced life support for trauma has been questioned and even supplemental oxygen may be bad for some people. But one thing that hasn’t changed is the fundamental precept of emergency medical care: blood goes ‘round and ‘round, air goes in and out and any variation on this theme is a problem.

What I'm looking for is a list of materials, supplies and equipment which is appropriate for immediate first-aid for the kind of wound which took Moshe.  I know that the entire list is far beyond my fiscal means, so I'm only looking for "First Aid" measures in the strictest sense.

I'm assuming that most of the equipment would be mroe than my first-aid training would be able to use competently, such as the tracheal airway.  But better to have the gear and hope that someone is there who could use it, than not to have the gear.  Maybe I could get the local gun club to chip in for the expensive parts.

I just don't want to ever lose another friend because I dont have the equipment to deal with an accidental wound.

Been there, done that.  Don't want the t-shirt!

Any ideas?    Anyone?  (Besides the obvious generic first-aid kits, of course; I have been carrying them around for 40 years, and I know how limited they are in the event of a serious gun-shot wound.)


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a medic I saw death first hand many many times. Sometimes in my dreams I relive the experience.

Mark said...

As RO's we must be contentious and alert at all times. Not watching the clock or the targets or anything but the gun. We can prevent accidents.

BillM said...

Gunshot Trauma Kit

I know there is one in thew cabinet at Dundee--not sure about other ranges.