Wednesday, April 15, 2015

FOAD!

Oregon sheriff says proposed gun background-check law won't be enforced | Fox News:
"I have felonies going on daily in Josephine County. That's my priorities."
I'm waiting for a statement from Benton County Sheriff Scott Jackson in response to this email:

Sheriff Jackson,
In response to requiring background checks for firearms sales between private citizens, Sheriff Daniel in Josephine County has reportedly said: "I can't enforce that law, so therefore it won't be enforced".
How do you plan to enforce this new law?

Not that Sheriff Jackson and I are "Good Buddies" as Maynard Krebbs typified his relationship with Dobie Gillis.  The only action I've ever had with the county sheriff is going in to his office every 5 years to renew my CHL.  (They need new cameras ... lately, the pictures make me look old and bald!)

But I can't find any statement on the subject from his office, and I think this is important since we had a town meeting on Open Carry last month.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Law officers must enforce the laws that our lawmakers write. They represent the will of the people. Otherwise we become a banana republic.

Jerry The Geek said...

You don't think that we're already at that place? What's a "banana republic" except that the in-power party are making laws arbitrarily and without any respect for the will of the people?

Archer said...

@Anonymous: Incorrect. The county sheriff is the top elected law-enforcement official anywhere. He/she has every right and authority to decide which laws are high-priority, which are low-priority, and which are unenforceable.

And unlike city and state Police Chiefs, they are not appointed. They are elected, and directly answerable to the people.

Therefore, it's reasonable to conclude that the county sheriffs have a more accurate grasp of the "will of the people".