Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Glocks: Is This (S)Trip Necessary?

Borepatch: Negligent Discharge:
(August 05, 2014)

A guy shoots himself in the hand while trying to field-strip a Glock, because of the take-down procedure?  Give me a break!

Any one of us can have a negligent discharge. Get out of sequence and pull the trigger on a weapon we think is empty. Like a car accident, it's a statistical possibility. I especially don't like the Glock takedown procedure for this reason. To take off the slide for cleaning, you pull down two small pins that protrude from the frame just under the muzzle, then pull the trigger.
Excuse me?  You have to pull the trigger before completely dismantling a Glock?  I was not aware of this.  Can someone who knows a lot about Glocks confirm this?

Here's the original story about a man who shot himself while trying to field-strip a Glock.

I don't like Glocks because, well, I'm a self-confessed 1911 bigot.  I've tried to shoot Glocks from time to time (it's like people who quit smoking ... new Glock owners want to convert you!) but  they never fit my hand.  I'm sure it's Ergonomics more than anything else, as the grip angle is just enough different from what I have grown accustomed to by over 30 years of competition that I'm too old to change.

But this ... the suggestion that you have to pull the trigger on a Glock before you can complete the field-strip/take-down on a Glock?

That's something else.
So if you have more expertise in Things Glock, I hope you will contribute something in the COMMENTS section.

Because, from where I sit, it sounds like a serious safety issue, if you have to pull the trigger on a Glock to perform a Field-Strip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes Jerry
Normal procedure on a Glock is too pull the trigger, then pull down the latch to free the slide to allow it to come forward for removal.
The old tupperware Glock boxes also required you to pull the trigger for the pistol to fit in the box. Otherwise the trigger was too far forward to allow the post in the box to go through the trigger guard. The newer (current) Glock boxes are a clamshell design eliminating the need since nothing goes through the trigger guard.

Guy