Thursday, July 10, 2014

NORTON: The Ultimate Geek

Everybody needs friend; geeks need online friends.  And my best, truest online friend is NORTON 360 Software.

Virus protection, virus profile updates on a regular basis, virus removal, protection against 'untrusted websites', auto-backup to protected websitesd ... woof woof, what Geek could want more.

This geek wants technical back-up that's reliable, on-call 24/7, and can fix what ails ya when something goes wrong.

And the thing about software is ... something ALWAYS goes wrong!

Norton 360 did the job on me today.  It decided that my other friends (all my browsers, including Firefox, Chrome, Explorer) were no longer "trusted sites".  As a consequence, when I started my nightly browsing, I had only "INTERNET CONNECTION NOT FOUND" responses.

I got on my new laptop (the old XP laptop was too antiquated to be functional under the old "XP" protocols, so I had to buy one that would run "MS 7 Professional) and I had Internet connections up the ying-yang.  Since the LAPTOP hadn't had Norton loaded yet, that proved that the problem wasn't with the modem. I called the Symantec Hotline and talked to Jiquad who had me uninstall NORTON, and when I had done so I called the next guy with the funny accent to tweak it so that my browsers were 'trusted'.

Perhaps I could have done all that by myself ... it's not that hard, because NORTON has web-based utilities to do all that stuff for me.

But what else did I spend $49 a year for, but efficient customer support?

Now I've got all my computer things working again, I still have no viruses, and I've learned the value of cultivating an air of incompetence.

Why should I do all the work?  I figure I'm maintaining a viable economy in India, and I can tell them about my ingrown toenail while they're trying to work.

I was technical support for decades.    Call it Payback.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So are you recommending that we luddite non-nerdy types get Norton 360?
Antipoda