Friday, May 09, 2014

Nigeria provides such INTERESTING email correspondents!

Most of us receive 'goofy' emails from total strangers, now and then.  I know I do, and I bet you get junk mail from surprising sources, too.

Today I received the most innovative junk mail (note that I am carefully ignoring the "S-word" indicative of tins of spicy meat from questionable sources).

Supposedly, a U.S. Army General .. a lady, no less!  has chosen me as her newest and most favorite Pen Pal.  Nothing new in the concept, but the approach is unique.

Behold!

 Hi dear friend,

Hi dear friend, I'M LIEUTENANT GENERAL SUSAN J. HELMS. I am a UNITED STATE ARMY GENERAL. From united state of America. Am supportive and caring, looking forward to get a nice friend. I read your profile and pick interest on you. I will like to establish mutual friendship with you. Please let continue our conversation through my private email box. Here is my email adders (xxxxx.xxxxx25@yahoo.com) I will introduce myself better and send you my picture as soon as i receive your mail.

Thanks and regards.
Gen. SUSAN J. HELMS.

Never mind the actual email address ... I don't want to encourage "her".

Yes, the "Hi dear friend" phrase was the salutation, and immediately repeated in the body of the letter.  The inconsistent grammar, adolescent structure and awkward phrasing of the text are indicative of someone to whom English is not their native language.

Certainly, it is not the kind of letter that one expects to receive from a total stranger.  I am tempted to create a throw-away email address and reply, just to see how far the sender is willing to go in an obvious attempt to extort money from strangers.

I just wanted to provide another example of the strange letters one receives from Nigerian s* p* a* m* e* r* s; as a warning.  (As an example of how little it takes to pique my interest, perhaps.)

It probably doesn't need to be said, but I'll say it anyway.  If you receive a letter from such an unexpected source, do not reply to it.  These emails are typically created by a software program which inputs random email addresses.  If they receive a reply, that is their cue that they have found an active email account, and they will inundate you with requests for personal information (including bank account numbers) in an attempt to defraud you of your life savings.

Just .. be careful out there.

1 comment:

Rivrdog said...

1. Susan Helms is a USAF LT GEN.

2. I was on an aircrew commanded by her father, MAJ Patrick Helms, and watched young Susan grow up for a few years. She might have babysat for me once or twice.