Monday, November 11, 2013

The Latest "Appcessory" is for Your Rifle?

Shooting Wire: The Inteliscope Tactical Rifle Adapter and App turns a smartphone into a rifle scope for tactical rifles, paintball markers, and airsoft guns and records video from the rifle POV. The Inteliscope turns your Apple mobile device into an intelligent scope. Newly conceived just six months ago in April, 2013, the Inteliscope Tactical Rifle Adapter is now shipping and the App is now available for download from the Apple App Store. The adapter to mount the mobile device to your rifle sells for $99; the App is included in the price and can be downloaded from the Apple App Store for evaluation at no cost. Customers may order the adapter now at www.inteliscopes.com or from one of over 350 firearms dealers worldwide.


 
From the ridiculous to the sublime.

I'm not sure whether I think: "Whoopie, this is SO great!" or "Damn!  This is even more stupid than if I had thunk it first!"

First thing my Verizon Guy said when I bought my StupidPhone was: "This isn't as robust as the last (non-smart) phone you had.  I will break.  Easily.  And the battery won't last as long."

So ... I'm encouraged to count on a StupidPhone to (a) endure against the recoil of a rifle, and (b) be 100% reliable in a SHTF situation?

I don't THINK so!

Kewl technology, if you have an IPhone (as opposed to an "Android", which I have).  But I believe I'll just stick with iron sights or ... maybe, if I'm feeling lucky ... the 6x scope on my .25-06.

Too many failure points on THIS hash-up to make me comfortable that it will be there when I really need to make a shot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I suspect that sight would only be legal in Open. Unfortunately, the rifle matches I shoot in require open sights, and I don't own a smart phone.