Saturday, September 22, 2012

Oh, NOW I remember why I haven't been posting!

Yeah,  our charming host BLOGGER (aka GOOGLE) has been updated so that ... well, the old templates can no longer be maintained by the user.  Which means, we are forced to go to the new-and-improved BLOGGER templates, and "some of the features may not be retained" in the transition.

This is a Bad News/Good News situation.

Want to hear the Bad News?  I'm not gong to have all the features on my sidebar that I use to have.

The Good News?  My template was already fairly hozed by the updates to BLOGGER, and most of the really keen features I'm incorporated (read: "stole from other bloggers) since I started this blog in 2004 are either no longer functional, or they have been randomly distributed to other frames of the blog ... where they did not fit.

I'm thinking I have very little to lose, and honestly I saw this coming.  It's not that I'm so wise, it's just that they have been TELLING us for the past two years that we're going to have to change our template.  Me?  I've been too grumpy to embrace the change.  Hey, it may be so bad that they go back to the old version, and why should I go to all that trouble when I may have to undo the undoings I've already undone, if I change?

Remember the old John Lennon song (are there any NEW John Lennon songs?) IMAGINE, where he sings so mordantly:

"You may say I'm a Dreamer, but I'm not the only one ...."

(I'm of the sincere opinion that Mark David Chapman shot Lennon because of this song, but imagine I'm not the only one)



Anyway, Imagine that I was right and the New Blogger is a total piece of hooey, when it comes to translating eight-year-old templates to the new format.  But I've given it as long as possible to get from release 2.0 to release 2.1.11.01. ( I actually worked with a piece of vended software with that that release number, and what a piece of work THAT was), so I'm ready to concede that there are no alternatives to biting the bullet.


Uh ... sorry, John.  That was an ill-chosen phrase, in this context, wasn't it?

I'll do the conversion, okay?  So get off my back?

Maybe not tonight, though.  I don't think I've had quite enough to drink yet.  I'm not finished with the bottle of wine, and I've got three more stashed in the pots-and-pans cupboard, where the landlord won't find them in a million years!

And then, there's the half-gallon of Jameson, if I find I'm in need of still more "Dutch Courage".  (I always thought that phrase should be "Irish Courage", haven't you?).  Not to mention the Glenfiddich, the Stoly, the Ron Rico, the Malibou Stork, and that funny coffee flavored stuff you put in your coffee when you want to pretend you're not really drinking liquor when you really are.

Yeah, I can put this off for a LONG while yet, if I don't intend to actually do much blogging.

Or maybe the next time you sign on, this will look completely different (as those Monty Python guys use to say), and maybe it will look really trim and slim and totally RAD, Dude!

Yeah, right.  As if anyone still reads this blog.

Cheer up!  I've only had two glasses of wine today.  And it's not even four pm yet.

Whatever happens, you can't say I didn't warn you.

I'm just saying ........  OUCH!


No comments: