Monday, February 20, 2012

Notes From The Squid


I got a phone call from my son today.

If you haven't heard me rave about My Son The Squid, he's in the Navy. He's a "Master At Arms", whichapparently is kind of like a military cop, except it's a Military Occupational Specialty whose member duties include instant "police" reaction to terrorist attacks and otherwise guarding naval installations and ships.

I don't know all the details, but I do know that he has had some really exciting training, including automobile evasive maneuvers and just recently, Sniper School at some place near D.C.

Anyway, he's through with that part, and now he's doing some kind of qualification testing. I was impressed by the very high standards.

On the surface, the trial is very simple. For Level 1 (or Category 1 .. I admit I didn't listen as carefully as I should have), they have to start standing with hands above the waist, draw their pistol (a Beretta 92 ... the crappiest trigger-pull in the world!) and hit an 8" plate at seven yards within 1.9 seconds.

(The old standard was to hit the plate in that time frame at 3 yards.)

I can't do that reliably. It's all I can do to hit an IPSC Metric target ... anywhere ... at that range and in that time. I've been shooting competitively for over 25 years; if he can do it he's a much better gun-handler than I am.

There are levels (or categories) of qualification. For Category 4 certification, they have to hit the plate within 1.3 seconds.

!


I've teased "The Kid" about his Navy training for years, but now I'm beginning to think that he's really getting the martial training he needs to do his job. He's going for Category 4 certification. I think he might just make up.

For sure, if he does, nobody's going to steal the San Diego Naval base or Coronado while he's on the job!

PS: No, I do not approve of him shooting without eye protection. On the other hand, I don't approve of him patrolling without serious bullet-proof vest protection, either.

No comments: