Monday, March 28, 2011

Emergency Gear

When I was living with SWMBO, I was getting up at 6am so I could get to work early ... and therefore get back early enough to relieve her relatives who were "sister-sitting" her while I was at work.

Even after taking a shower and shaving, I wasn't really all that wide awake. So SHE and I developed a "Status Check" to make sure I had everything I really needed.

Most of my stuff was in my briefcase, which I carry with me everywhere. I didn't need to worry about incidentals like my check book. But I did need to keep track of the things I carried on my person.

I only needed to make sure I had five things:
  1. Eye glasses
  2. Phone
  3. Watch
  4. Car Keys
  5. Money Clip (including identification, like Driver's License)
It amazed me that I so often discovered I had forgotten to have one or more of those essential items.

(To be sure, I didn't really need the watch. I don't like wrist watches, and besides I had a watch on my cell phone, my key chain, and my money-clip. But SWMBO had given me the watch for Christmas and I was always conspicuously wearing it. The day she died, I put my wrist watch on the shelf and have not worn it since; I never wanted her to know that her gift was something that I didn't appreciate.)

Now my list is down to only four items, and it's a lot easier to keep track of. The funny thing is, my phone never rings and a few months ago I LOST my eyeglasses ... had to buy a new pair. But I hadn't forgotten to put it on when I left home, I just don't know what happened to it. Fortunately, I bought three pairs of cheap "drug-store" eyeglasses which only magnify, which is all I need for reading. I'm far-sighted, so I can drive just fine without glasses.

And I keep an extra set of keys in the car, which is double-locked with a keypad, so even if I forget my keys I can drive my car and get back in my house. There's $20 in cash hidden there, too, so I can buy lunch or some gasoline even though I may have forgot to bring my money-clip (although, of course, I cannot legally drive.)

I think it's a good idea to duplicate some "resources" so that even if I run out of the house naked (not my usual practice, but think "your house is on fire and all you need to do is to escape alive"), I'm not at the mercy of the elements nor dependent upon the charity of strangers. And yes, I also have a bag packed with spare clothes there, too. They have been stored in my car after the 2003 USPSA match at Tri-County Gun Club when it rained so hard that even my rain-gear didn't keep me from getting uncomfortably soaked. It would have been good to have dry clothes to change into then; now that I have a change of clothes available, I've never shot a match under such inclement conditions. But if I find myself in that situation again, I can expect to ride home warm and dry and comfortable. It's worth the investment of two square feet of space in the back of the car.

I also keep several bottles of water, some munchies (usually granola bars), boots, a blanket, extra batteries and extra ammunition for my carry pistol back there. Also, a few other handy items (hand warmers, blanket, batteries, matches, knife, a CB Radio, etc.) in the car. It all fits into the plastic bin .. another 4 square feet of the cargo area which usually serves no usual purpose.

The briefcase also carries munchies, a small amount of water, address book, pens and paper, etc.

In my pockets I also carry a flashlight, cigarette lighter, money, phone, ID and credit cards.

That gives me three levels of Emergency preparedness:

Immediate: in my pocket.
Short term: in my briefcase.
Longer term: in my car.

No, these few items don't constitute a SHTF preparedness. If I need more than this, I'm probably going to be SOL.

But for the next day or so, I'm able to be dry, warm, fed, watered and comfortable.

Of course, in the long run and in any civil emergency, I'm no more of a "survivor" than 99% of other people. That's why I have emergency stuff (stove, fuel, water, food, lanterns & fuel, etc.) in my pantry and garage. But still ... if it all goes in the pot ... I'm just one more person who doesn't believe in making my day-to-day life a fearful experience. I expect the world to continue turning as it always has. And if it doesn't? What the heck, I probably don't want to live in that world, anyway.

Life's too short to live it in fear.

No comments: