Thursday, July 30, 2009

Credit Card Fraud Part Deux

Ahhhhh ... that's much better.
I received my new credit card today. It has been exactly one week since it was cancelled, six days since I phoned my Credit Card Provider and requested a new card. (See Credit Card Fraud)

All I had to do was call the 24-hour hotline to get it activated.

Remember how I had to ask all those "security questions" to order a replacment card? Guess what ... they have a whole 'nother raft of "security questions" before they'll activate it.

Actually, they only ask you to "using the number pad on your telephone, type in the first four letters of your mother's maiden name, or enter the four-digit security code for your account if you have provided one".

Let me see, is "JONES" entered as if you're texting, or just punch the same #6 key for both the "N" and the "O"? I tried it both ways, they wouldn't take any of them. So they put on a "Customer Assistance Associate" for the old Third Degree.

I wasn't taking no sass from that child. Spoke Amurruhcun Englitch, but he talked so fast I couldn't make out what he was saying. By the time we finished and he declared my account activated, I had asked him as many questions as he had asked me.

Now all I have to do is go to my online accounts and update them with my new number and expiration date. Oh, yeah, they didn't give me the old expiration date, as they had told me last week.

I'm sure looking forward to explaining why I need to change my credit card number at Amazon. Anybody have the URL for that? Never mind, I'll find it. They don't call me a Geek for nothing.

PS: do you know, my editing software accepted "Amurruhcun Englitch" without calling a spell-checker time out? Surprised me, too. There must be a lesson there. Okay, it's probably because the words are capitalized, but still ... I guess I must be easily impressed.

No comments: