Sunday, April 12, 2009

We're Back!

As of this date (Sunday, April 12, 2006) the Cogito Ergo Geek website/blog is officially back!

I mentioned last week that my personal work station was experiencing "trouble", and it cost me abotu $316 to correct it.

Besides the problem that my CMOS (and battery) was usable to know what time it was, there were some other problems as well... problems that I had not identified.

First, when they ran a check on the hard drive, they noticed over 100 errors. I got a new hard drive, because their components were under warranty from the manufacturer.

the good folks from Belleveu Computers, where I bought The Monster after the Blue Bird of Paradise trashed my old computer by inconsiderately flying into the local power junction, managed to completely rebuild my computer and to also enhance its power to edit Videos in the meantime.

Problematic resolutions:
  • replace old Motherboard battery, reset CMOS (yes, this was the source of the primary problem);
  • They discovered that the fan wasn't working to full potential, so I asked them to replace the fan and power supply;
  • They found over 100 errors when they scanned the hard drive, so they cloned the data onto a new hard-drive (on Warranty from the manufacturer);
Also, because I tend to edit a lot of video clips and Windows Movie Maker runs out of memory, I asked them to swap my two 1-GB memory strips for two 2-GB memory strips, giving me a total of 4GB RAM.

To enhance the Video process, they also loaded a Video Chip with 1-GB internal memory.

All of this required 1.75 hours of their time. I couldn't even begin to accomplish the same even without dealing with the CMOS resets, so it's a net (no pun intended) gain for The Geek.

I've just edited one video from the April ARPC match (see above) and the experiece was much better than what I had experienced before. Essentially, I could edit one file without rebootimg to recover memory.

I'm so glad that I went to Computer Professionals to fix my computer rather than try to fix it mself.

No comments: