Thursday, April 10, 2008

Reving it up: Part II

The Gun:

I just spoke to Rob Shepherd, Official Gunsmith to The Geek, who has assured me that he has completed the annual Spring Refurbishment of the Geek Race-Gun and it will be ready to go and hot to trot on match day. Saturday.

Note: Pacific North Wet shooters looking for a gunsmith, see Rob's Major Nyne website for information.

The loose scope mount was caused, in part, because some of the screws (which I had used to replace lost screws) were the wrong dimension. See? I knew it would end up being my fault. This is exactly why I've adopted the policy of having a non-klutz clean and inspect the gun at least once a year.

The clean-and-inspect thingie cost me sixty bucks, and it was cheap at the price. He found some loose grip screws, and most important he cleaned the compensator. Word is (see comments on previous post) that "he didn't know how he was going to get your comp cleaned out short of bead blasting it ". Well, that's one of the reasons I sent the gun to Rob. He performed the same "Aegean Stables" job last year, and I was glad I didn't have to perform this Herculean task. In fact, charging by job instead of by the hour, I suspect Rob lost money on the deal. No, he didn't include a surcharge; but there was a subtle hint of reproach on the Inspection Report:

"Comp full of residue. Bullet path restricted."

The Ammunition:

This week I reloaded all the 'old' brass that I had already tumbled, and came up with 200+ rounds of 'fat' and 'Comp' brass (Geek's Ammo Box') and less than 100 rounds of 'non-fat' (SWMBO's Ammo Box). That constituted a sufficiency of ammunition for me, but not enough for her.

Scrounging around, I found 800 rounds of new Winchester brass, a few hundred Winchester Small Rifle primers, and 800 Winchester Small Pistol Primers. I loaded as many New Brass rounds as I had WSR primers, and ended up with 250 rounds for SWMBO's Ammo Box after all loaded rounds had been inspected, boxed and marked. (Solid Red on the base of SWMBO ammo, Red with a Black Strip for Geek ammo.)

If we had to share SWMBO's pistol, this would have been marginal even though she has 100 rounds of New Brass in her ammo box. But with both pistols available, we have a comfortable round-count for any club match.

The Weather:

Because it has been a while since we both went to a match, I looked into the Geek Range Bag and found that I was low on tape for the Target Taper; I got a couple more rolls of tape. We are both trying to get over colds that left us with raw, itchy throats so we know we aren't going to be able to do a lot of Range Officer work at the match; we'll have to be tapers, score-keepers, steel-setters ... whatever it takes to do our share of the work.

But I found my rain-proof trousers stuffed insouciantly into the bag, not neatly packed. I have to find my rain-gear bag and pack the gear correctly. How likely am I to need my rain gear?

As it turns out (looking at WEATHER.COM ... see the sidebar), not very likely at all.



That's right, the weatherman is predicting 74 degrees in Corvallis on Saturday ... in April! This is incredible, until you look closer and see that there is a 10% chance of rain.

At least it's a wet heat.

I'm going to enjoy this. See you at the range!

No comments: