Thursday, April 24, 2008

Browsers

I like Firefox.

I actually prefer Netscape ... version 7.2 (version 8.0 sucks.) Unfortunately, since AOL bought Netscape they have made the marketting decision to NOT continue development. Or support. Well, I can't blame AOL; as I said Version 8.0 is an inferior browser software whcn compared to version 7.2 .... both of which are unsupported.[

I don't like Internet Explorer Version 7 (IE7), because it is non-intuitive and awkward, and also because there are so many security vulnerabilities. [Many of these security vulnerabilities are are actually related to the companion software associated with the Email.]

Like I said, I like Firefox much better.

There's one problem with Firefox.

When I use it as my primary browser software and attempt to view videos, especially but not exclusively related to YouTube, the videos are interrupted after the first 15 seconds, and this interruption repeats in periods from 4 to 15 seconds. To encourage the video playing, it is necessary to put the mouse cursor over the video window and waggle the mouse back and forth. This seems to enervate the software. Even more unfortunatily, the last few seconds of videos often are unaccessible and the video locks up.

Tonite I experimented with IE7, accessing the same weblogs and then attempting to view videos.

No lock-up incidents were encountered.

Well, it stands to reason. IE is the standard internet browser, so all associated software (such as YouTube videos) are designed to be IE compatible.

I'll probably be using IE7 as my default browser more often than Firefox. The shift will be inconvenient to me, not least because I can't transfer my bookmarks from Firefox to IE7.

But the reliable, consistent data transfer provided by IE7 is important to me (viewing videos is the most stringent test of this feature), so I am left with the decision to either go to the Microsoft version, or use both IE7 and Firefox. Which is inconvenient, at least.

You know, I don't like the Designated Hitter rule, either, and I've learned to live with that.

Has anyone else experienced problems with loading and running videos with non-Microsoft browsers?

No comments: