Friday, February 15, 2008

Gun Free Zones

I work on a university campus.

Five days a week I position myself in an office environment open to anybody who cares to walk through the door. We're not allowed to lock it. That would inconvenience our users, and students who stop by to ask directions to the bathroom.

With all of the school shootings (the latest at N.I.U., but high schools receive the same loving attention from disenfranchised a-holes), it's difficult to concentrate on the job. You don't want to lose your 'situational awareness', y'know? Even though I have a carry license, can I carry a gun there? NOOoooooooo! At the mall? NOOooooooo. I can't even go to church without feeling as if I'm more a target than a worshiper.
_________________

On the weekends, I spend at much time as possible as possible at gun shops, gun shows, and gun ranges. Can I carry a gun there? Heck yes. I don't even need a license. It is considered "The Thing To Do" there, and there are no disapproving frowns to be seen when I walk by with a range bag full of ammunition and a pistol. I can even carry a gun 'fully exposed", and nobody considers me a risk to public order and safety.
__________________

So tell me, when is the last time you heard about a shooting in a Gun Free Zone? What ... today? Sorry, that was a cheap shot.

And when was the last time you heard about a massacre at a gun store, a gun show ("the gun-show loophole"), or a shooting range.

...

I rest my case.

No comments: