Friday, August 24, 2007

Tasco PP1

Do YOU own an obsolete Electronic Red-Dot sight?

If not, you may not be aware of the angst which accompanies the lack of documentation.

I received an email tonite:
I was looking at your site and noticed that you have an early model pro-point on one of your rifles. I have the same model scope on my Rem 7615 and it was working really well until I lost the battery (Took it our for storage) Anyway no one seems to be able to tell me what batttery the scope takes. I was wondering if you could help.
Mick from Melbourne


I replied:
As nearly as I can tell (I have the box around here somewhere, but I'm too lazy to trash the garage to find it), the scope is a PP1.

It uses two batteries, and they're different!

The first battery is an "LR50". I can't tell you the manufacturer offhand, but the one I have is made in China. Isn't everything? It's about 7/16" in diameter and 5/8" long. (All dimensions are estimates.)

The second battery is designated "LR52". Same diameter, but the OAL is less than the diameter. I would guess 3/8".

I can't give you the voltage (or wattage, ohms or whatever) and I don't know if it matters how you stack them ... I suspect not. I have been putting the longer LR50 in first (flat/positive side 'down') and the shorter LR52 on top (also flat/positive side down.)
...
I have just tested this by inserting the batteries in the opposite order. That is, I put the short (LR52) in first, then the long (LR50) on top. I couldn't get the dot to work. That may be because I messed up the very simple test, or else it may honestly indicate that it matters which battery you insert first.

I removed the batteries and put the LR50 in first and the LR52 on top, and the red dot was visible when I turned the scope on.

My conclusion is that it may NOT make a difference, but I can definitely say that if you put the long battery in first and the short battery in on top, the scope should work.


Just in case you were wondering ...

UPDATE: 26-AUG-2007
According to The Hobo Brasser, his Pro Points (obviously newer than my PP1) use the CR2032 battery. I'm thinking this is the same as the battery used by the OK Sight, which means it's about the size and shape of an American quarter.

I know, this description may be of limited value to Mick in Australia.

No comments: