Wednesday, July 25, 2007

eBetts dot com - when you really need your legs broken

Real Story:
My cell phone rang while I was working at my desk and I didn’t recognize the phone number. So I take it outside (personal call, right?) and answer the phone.

Some guy with a guido-sounding voice says “Mr. Geek? Mr. Jerry The Geek? (nah ... he used my real name.) My name’s David Carducci and I’m with eBets dot com. You recently had an online transaction with us and …”

Right now I’m thinking that I’ve been hacked, someone has stolen my identity, they’ve been using it to lay bets on an online gambling website and losing a lot. Now this guy is going to threaten me to pay up or else he sends the leg-breakers to see me!


So I explained: “Listen, pal, I don’t know who you are and I don’t know anything about what you’re talking about.”


He sez: “Didn’t you just buy two batteries for an HP camera and a fast battery recharger from us?”

Oh man … WHEW! They guy was saying eBATTS, not eBETS.

Yeah, I bought the batteries from eBatteries. I had filled out a survey form, indicating that I didn’t know if I was satisfied with the product yet because I hadn’t received it yet (it was a point-of-sale survey, It hadn’t been more than a few minutes since I entered the online order.) The guy only called to follow up, to make sure that I was satisfied with the order and with the quality of the merchandise.

I was so relieved that they weren’t going to kneecap me, I gave him a resounding personal testimonial on the quality of the merchandise and the service and the price and anything else I could think of. He was tickled, after he got done laughing about the leg-breaker line.

I’m much calmer now; I got coffee. Yes, that’s a true story. I couldn’t make this stuff up.

No comments: