Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Columbia Cascade Section Tournament

The CCS Section Match is scheduled for July 21-22, 2007.

Today is Wednesday, July 18, 2007. SWMBO is out of town this weekend, my gun ain't been running right (poor maintenance -- my bad), I'm low on ammunition/time/cash, and I HATE lost-brass matches which this promises to be.

I haven't shot an IPSC match in a month, even though I've been to two shooting matches where I did nothing but wander around and take pictures of people who WERE shooting.

Two days before the match, I decide it's worth it to drive the 60-miles each way, two days straight (total gas price: about $40), pay the $90 match fee, write off $50 worth of brass and catch the match.

I owe it to myself. Besides, it's either spend the weekend shooting or spend two days wearing my Regulation Blogger Pajamas and smoking too much while I bore all of you by writing too much.

A few minutes ago I sent an email with an application to CCS Treasurer John "Big Dawg" Weil, begging him to accept my promise of a check ($90, with the late fee) when I show up at the stats shack at the Tri County Gun Club on Saturday Morning ... I wonder if I can drive there from Corvallis before 8am without SWMBO to urge me to get out of the house on time? She's going to be out of town this weekend, and I'm at a total loss without her. On the bright side, if she's not going to be around, I can stop by her house and steal all the good stuff out of her shooting bag (lots of extra magazines) on my way out of town. Now, if she hasn't locked it all into her Gun Safe I might have enough mags to handle all the 32 round stages and the THREE low-round-count stages on Bay Four.

Actually, looking at the squad lists there are three short squads I might get hooked up with. I can shoot with Big Dawg, or I can shoot with Bruce Gary and a bunch of Local Heroes, or I can shoot with Higbie (who's always good for a laugh, as long as he doesn't get excited and have another freaking heart attack. You know the joke: "Shoot the stage, drag Higbie ...") He looked pretty good when he was RO-ing the R&R Racing Multigun Challenge match at ARPC last weekend, though, so maybe he's good for another match as a competitor.

Heck, maybe Bill Salberg will show up. He's a Spokane boy, and I haven't shot with him since we were together at the TCGC Club Match in June, where he did the "Rodeo Queen Wave" when he fell down on Stage 6. He looked funny, one hand in the gravel and the other hand waving his pistol in the air trying to get up. I could squad with him and maybe get some good video as he tries to swim through an ocean of little tiny rocks, if I'm not so distracted by the performance that I forget to point the camera at him ... as happened LAST time.

It'll be nice to actually SHOOT on a weekend. It has been raining in Oregon for the past couple of days, and the weatherman at weather.com forecasts showers and 70 degrees. Perfect Oregon shooting weather. Not too hot, the rain will keep the dust down and maybe it will discomfort somebody else more than it will me. Hmmmm ... I need to remember to wear my boots and bring a light rain jacket.

Oh wait. Everybody there will be from the Pacific NorthWest, they'll all be accustomed to shooting in the rain. No wonder the match has over 70 people signed up, which isn't bad for a Section match.

Never mind. At least I know how to spell everyone's name, I can actually SHOOT for a change, and maybe I'll even get some interesting pictures to spend next week editing and posting here, and on the video gallery.

And there's a stage with two Texas Star targets ... maybe even an Evil Oregon Star, who knows? Something to look forward to.

Watch this space.

Excuse me, I have to go load ammunition for the weekend.

{sigh} I've missed that.

No comments: