Thursday, February 01, 2007

Geek Thoughts

  • I saw a flock of Oregon Ducks fly overhead today. How did I know they were Oregon ducks?
  1. It's February.
  2. They were flying EAST for the Winter!

  • What's the difference between "Ecology" and "The Environment"? The Environment is the Stage. Ecology is the Play.
  • This is my 10th year as Jerry the Geek. I created that nom de plume in 1997 when I began contributing to The Unofficial IPSC List. At first people asked me why I chose that particular nickname for myself. I spent a lot of time explaining that it was a take-off on "Jimmy the Greek", the (now notorious) Las Vegas Odds-maker. I explained that I'm a computer programmer ... a Geek ... and it seemed like an obvious nickname. People quit asking, eventually, apparently just accepting that I chose a name which is less obnoxious than that which others might choose for me. Since then I have pondered, and today I realize that I miss the obvious, TRUE answer:
"The Great One"
was already taken.

No comments: