Wednesday, May 31, 2006

A Practical Shooter In Iraq: Part Two

Part II of the series initiated here.

In response to the article, and much correspondance, Loren, C. Gray states:

Thanks for caring about my privacy. I don’t really mind if my name, email address, phone number, social security number or bank account information gets out. I’m just happy to live day-to-day. I don’t have many secrets or things that I care if everyone knows about. I don’t necessarily want to get more email, but I don’t mind if other folks write me as long as they know I’m a bit slow in responding sometimes.

Thanks for the fine words on your website. I’ve passed your comments on to some of my buddies here. We’re grateful for those of you who care enough to pray for us.

I wanted to correct something I read, though. I didn’t actually enlist to come over here. I’m 43, the Director of Customer Service for Clarity Visual Systems in Wilsonville, and live in Portland with my family.

I joined the Army 23 years ago and was an infantryman in the reserves for 13 years. About 10 years ago I went inactive, because I was so busy at work (InFocus at the time) and there was a lot going on at home. I’ve always enjoyed the Army (or so I think) and I wanted to be able to get back in if things slowed down for me at work. I would get calls from recruiters from time to time, but other than that I had no contact with the Army. That is, until October 2005 when I got a letter in the mail asking me to come join the fun. I put my civilian and personal life on hold and reported to Ft. Jackson, SC on the 4th of December. I spent several weeks there, went to Ft. Bragg, NC for a couple of weeks, up to Ft. Dix, NJ for a month of Civil Affairs training and then went back to Ft. Bragg for combat skills training until the 23rd of April. It took almost 5 months from the time I reported for active duty to get to Iraq. I have to spend 12 months here before I can go home and get back to my other life.

Given where I was at in life, I wouldn’t have volunteered to spend a year and a half away from home. But I’m glad to be here and doing something that may make a difference in this world. None of the guys I’m with volunteered for this, but there’s no one here who has a bad attitude about it.

You asked for a picture of me, so I’ve attached one. I’m just leaving the office to convoy home and the outer vest I wear every day is the same one I've worn to all the Practical Rifle matches for the past couple of years.



Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usLoren has been incredibly candid, so I can't do less but to include his picture (wearing his Vest) and his email address: loren.c.gray at us.army.mil

Replace the " at " with the "@" sign if you choose to write him.

I hope you do write to Loren. I recall how rewarding it was to receive supportive letters from total strangers thirty-toomany years ago when I was a lowly Staff Sgt overseas. I'm sure he would appreciate hearing from you.

No comments: