Sunday, February 26, 2006

Negligence: Las Vegas Officer-involved Shooting Video

I don't know if I've ever actually posted the video, but I do know that I cited it in March of 2005.

In case anyone is still interested, here it is.

Essentially, during an arrest in Las Vegas, Nevada, a suspect was being cuffed by a deputy sheriff in a parking lot while being covered by another deputy with a drawn pistol. During the engagement, the covering deputy's pistol (Glock? Sig? hard to tell) discharges, striking the asphalt pavement near the prone suspect. The suspect and the arresting officer are noticibly disconcerted, if I may be forgive the understatement.

Fortunately, nobody seems to be injured and the covering officer immediately holsters her pistol. One wonders a lot of things, such as whether the covering officer really needs to have her pistol drawn and pointing toward the suspect ... but that is a matter of departmental policy, and I'm not conversant in this area.

Watch the video, draw your own conclusions, but I note that you're probably as poorly informed on departmental policy as am I. Still, when a firearm discharges, we might be forgiven for jumping to conclusions in regards to the degree of negligence which might be involved.

QUALITY OF THE VIDEO:

It comes across as rather rough on my computer, you might be well advised to download it before you play it because of transmission interference. If you don't get a 'clean, smooth' copy let me know and I'll see if I can find a file version that isn't 4th or 5th generation.

No comments: