Thursday, November 10, 2005

Thank you, Veterans

Thank you!

Tomorrow, November 11, is Veteran's Day.
If you've never thought of Veterans as "Somebody Special", if you deplore the war in Iraq and Afghanistan, if you served, or know someone who served their country in acknowledged risk of life and limb, if you "Support The Troops", if you fervently believe that "War Is Dangerous To Children And Other Living Creatures", if you think that soldiers are sadly misguided whose hearts may be in the right place but they are wasting themselves in Somebody Else's War . . .

. . . if you're an American . . .

do something special on Veteran's day to show that you acknowledge the sacrifices and risks that one American is willing to assume in order that you may sleep safely at night.

Going grocery shopping? Stop and buy a Buddy Poppy from the old man in front of the Safeway store. Don't give him a buck; give him a twenty. It helps support the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Make your day THEIR day, by showing your appreciation.

What am I going to do?

I'm going to celebrate Red Shirt Friday, and bring along some momento of military service to my work place.

At 11pm on 11/11, I'll go to the memorial at the local National Guard Armory and offer my Libation to Absent Friends. It may sound strange to you, but THEY know, and understand. If my name was on that pillar, or wall, I would appreciate the gesture.


Saturday, I'll go to an IPSC match.

I hope by then I'll have found a Safeway store, and a VFW guy, because I want to wear my Buddy Poppy.

PS: if the 3-minute movie linked to above doesn't break you up just a little bit, you won't understand any of this.

Never mind.
It's only important if it's important to you.

No comments: