Monday, October 10, 2005

Target Taper

Last week I ordered another box of brown target tapes from targettaper.com

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I bought my Target Taper from them about three years ago, and it has worked great. I use a box of tapes (25 rolls, $50) in a little less than a year.

I was down to my last four rolls of tape, so I went to the website at http://targettaper.com/ and put in my order. They have an online order page, which I used, but I didn't give them my credit card number because I noticed it was an unsecured website. I wasn't comfortable with sending my credit card number when it isn't an encrypted transaction. Instead, I clicked "I'll Send A Check" and completed the order, then printed the order. I wrote out a check for $50. Then I thought again, and sent an email describing the process and a warning that this was NOT a second order, to the email address displayed on the web page (creativesales@ridgenet.net, which I note is no longer active) with a copy to myself. I printed out THAT document, and stuffed all the paperwork and the check into an envelope and sent it to the address given on the webpage. It was so fat, I put two stamps on it.

Job well done, what?

This morning, as I was walking to my office from the parking lot, I got a call on my cell phone. It was someone from Competitive Edge Dynamics (CED), and he wanted to talk to me about my Target Taper order!

The story is, CED has been selling the Target Taper and tapes here "for years", according to the guy on the phone, and they finally just decided to buy the silly old company. Unfortunately, my order came in right in the middle of finalizing the project (I love these managerial buzz-phrases - don't you?) CED told me that the Target Taper (TT) guy was suppose to take his website down, or stop people from ordering there, or otherwise no longer sell the product, but he doesn't seem to have got around to that little detail yet.

As a consequence, CED did receive my order, but the TT guy got my check. That is, CED assumes he got my check.

But TT had been selling the tapes for the stated cost of $50 (CED charges $49.95), and didn't bother to tell you what the Shipping and Handling charges (S&H) will be. CED is much more businesslike, so they're charging the $49.95 plus NINE DOLLARS S&H from Pennsylvania. They don't mention that S&H charge until after you have completed the order, by the way. I just tested it, I didn't take the test transaction down to where they ask you how you're going to actually pay for the bloody thing.

So, here's were we stand right now: Me (GEEK ), Competitive Edge Dynamics (CED), and the old business Target Taper (TT):
  • CED has GEEK order, promises to ship immediately
  • TT has GEEK check, and isn't saying anything to GEEK or to CED
  • GEEK has no tapes, no money, but fine promises
  • CED trusts GEEK about the check, but will bill said GEEK for the S&H
  • CED will negotiate with TT to get the check
  • GEEK will believe it all when he sees it
The bottom line is some GEEK advice:

Don't sent any orders to TargetTaper.com

Target Taper makes/made an excellent product, but since they're apparently no longer in the business of selling that excellent product, I would STRONGLY advise you to take your tape gun orders directly to the CED website, do not pass go, do not send money to TT. You may send your order to TT as long as the website remains active, which it is at the time of this writing . . CED is obviously receiving the orders . . . but unless you're just so lonely that you'll do anything to get an 8:30 am phone call from a vendor asking "WHERE THE HECK IS MY MONEY?" (in the very nicest way of course) you might seriously consider taking your business directly to the new owner and pay the S&H like a gentleman.

Once again, this link will take you DIRECTLY to the place where CED will sell you all the tapers and tapes you could use:

http://www.cedhk.com/show.php/Object605

Yes, I realize I could have said all of that in about three terse sentences and a link.
But what's the fun in that?

No comments: