Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Tears In My Eyes:The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler

The Anti-Idiotarian Rottweiler: Tears In My Eyes

While I often find the ranting of The Emperor Misha entertaining, I don't always agree with his radically extreme conservative viewpoint. That's the reason that I put his website in a special category in my sidebar. Essentially, I visit his blogsite (which is vastly more popular than my own poor efforts) only to reassure myself that extremist viewpoints may be viscerally satisfying to the author, but don't always show him as a rational person.

I don't quote his opinion because I don't use such rough language except in the rare occasion when I am so outraged that calmer expression will not serve my purpose. Misha seems to find it appropriate far too frequently for my taste. Perhaps I suffer from excessive dispassion, but since I don't agree with him I won't clutter up my own work with vulgar invective.

Misha's point is that he is distraught and outraged by the images of Israelis forcing other Israelis out of their homes. That's understandable, and I share the same distress.

His other point is that it's all George W. Bush's fault. He thinks it was an American decision, forced upon Mr. Sharon, and that Mr. Bush should be the recipient of all the invective and disgust which many of us feel as a result of this shameful occurrence.

I don't agree.

Misha doesn't cite any references to support his theory, other than his own passion. My readings convince me that this was NOT an American tactic, that the White House was NOT the author of this socio-political boondoggle, and that to blame him for the wrongful decision of the Israeli Prime Minister is to be uninformed, irresponsible, and wrong. (And I have told him just that, in a comment to the website of The Anti-Idiotarion Rottweiler.)

I consider Daniel Pipes a much more credible reference to the events occurring in Israel today.

In a recent article, Mr. Pipes states:

The Israeli government's removal of its own citizens from Gaza ranks as one of the worst errors ever made by a democracy.

This step is the worse for being self-imposed, not the result of pressure from Washington. When the Bush administration first heard in December 2003 that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon had unilaterally decided to pull all soldiers and civilians from Gaza, it responded coolly. Months of persuasion were needed to get the White House to embrace the initiative.

I don't know about you, but I'm more inclined to give credence to a man who wrote about the situation four months ago, when it was current-news, than I am to accept the diatribe of a man who makes apparently unfounded accusations.

You'll have to read the citations provided here -- and please go find your own references before you make up your own mind -- to make an intelligent, informed decision that you can defend.

You know what I think.

I think that uniformed passion is not the best measure of a painful event.

No comments: