Sunday, March 13, 2005

Ford to again put Thunderbird on hiatus

Ford to again put Thunderbird on hiatus - Mar. 11, 2005

Some of you may recall when I discussed "The Curse of American Automobiles" on December 14.

Well, things are looking up! Another Ford "Bites the Dust"!



I can't say I'm sorry. I've always referred to this particular (and I use the word advisedly) as "The Dove Beauty Bar Ford" because of its convex profile.



I admit, though, to a certain disappointment. The Ford Thunderbird was ever a sporty looking car



(I even liked the boxy four-passenger model.)



[sigh!]

But Ford got away from its roots. Sure, they went back to the 2-passenger runabout concept, but they forgot to make it sexy. Instead, the best you could say for the latest model was that it was "cute".

What kinda guy wants a "cute" car? My best guess is that Ford was trying to compete with the Honda Del Sol , which was the Compleat Chick Car.



(Although, with the venerable 289 CC engine, the T-bird was far from wussie in performance.)

The good news, if you have to buy a Ford, is that the Mustang is back ...




... in a style which hasn't seen since the egregious Mustang II.


No comments: